The ingredient list is a bit long, but its simply grilled chicken, cheese & vegetables with mayo & butter as condiments. You can easily substitute leftover chicken if you don’t have boneless chicken, or add other vegetables but do make sure you add the cheese. Having this sandwich without melted cheese will just not be the same! I made another version using Paneer & Sweet corn which I will post separately.
|Peri Peri Grilled Sandwich – the sandwich platter|
Peri Peri Chicken Sandwich with Cheese & Olives
- 8 slices bread (I used multi-grain bread for added texture/crunch)
- 3-4 tablespoon garlic butter (normal butter can be substituted)
- 1/2 tablespoon Garlic Paste/Finely Minced garlic
- 3-4 tablespoon butter
- Peri Peri Grilled Chicken
- 400 grams boneless chicken, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Peri Peri Sauce (Garlic flavored) – Substitute with the one you prefer
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- Peri Peri Mayo
- 4 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Peri Peri sauce (Garlic flavored)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 3-4 tablespoon sweet corn
- 200 grams shredded cheese (mozzarella or cheddar or mix of both)
- 3 tablespoon black olives
- 1-2 tablespoon Peri Peri Sauce (Garlic flavor)
Other filling suggestions: Caramelized onions, sliced Jalapeno’s, Sun-dried tomatoes, Deli Meat, Minced Chicken etc.
|Peri Peri Grilled Chicken Sandwich – the filling on display|
For Garlic Butter:
- Melt butter in small saucepan. Add garlic paste/finely minced garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes so that the raw flavor vanishes. Take out garlic butter in a small container and keep aside.
For Peri Peri Grilled Chicken:
- Marinate chicken with rest of ingredients and keep in fridge for about 30 minute.
- Using a pastry brush, brush about 1 tablespoon of oil on a grill pan, and add chicken.
- Grill for about 10-15 minutes on each side, till the chicken is cooked & the water dries.
- Slice chicken into small chunks.
- This was actually quite a lot of chicken – I made about 3 sandwiches, used about 1/2 cup in Cheesy Potato Skins and I had about 1 cup of sliced chicken leftover that I used in white sauce pasta (recipe pending).
- Mix together mayonnaise, Peri Peri sauce, salt & red chilli flakes.
- Taste & adjust if necessary.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Line a baking tray with aluminium foil.
- Spread garlic butter on the bottom slices of the bread.
- Put 4 bread slices on the foil with butter side down. Spread Peri mayo dip on the slices.
- Add grilled chicken then shredded cheese, then black olives. Top with a little bit of the garlic Peri Peri sauce. Top with bread slices.
- Brush the top slice of the bread with garlic butter.
- Bake in oven for about 10-15 minutes till toasted & cheese melts.Cut into triangles & serve with french fries or salad.
|Peri Peri Grilled Chicken Sandwich – right out of the oven|