A staple Pakistani meal, Aloo keema is made using minced meat (aka keema) and potatoes in a dry gravy.
I love Aloo Keema! Not plain Keema or Matar Keema or Piyaaz Keema. What I love love is Aloo Keema. I know this entire recipe can be made with matar (aka peas) but it just won’t be the same till there’s at least one potato in it!
That’s also why this recipe states using anywhere from 2 potatoes to 4 potatoes. If it was upto me there would be 4 potatoes but since there are other people in the house they would prefer to eat keema also. Hence we add two potatoes – 1 for lunch and 1 for dinner!
The recipe is pretty simple. There’s keema, tomatoes, onions and the basic Pakistani spices. Most people use beef keema but we have now switched to using chicken keema for health & convenience. All you need to do is put boneless chicken in the food processer and chicken keema is ready.
Pakistani Aloo KeemaPrint Recipe
- 3 – 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- Sabit garam masala / Whole Spices – 3 cloves, 1 inch cinnamon stick, 4-5 black peppercorns & 1-2 cardamom pods
- ½ kg mincemeat (keema) – can be chicken or beef
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 2 teaspoon coriander dhaniya powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric / haldi powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 – 4 medium potatoes, halved or quartered
- ½ cup water
- 2-3 green chilies, for garnish
- ½ cup coriander leaves, for garnish
Heat oil in a pan.
Add chopped onions and fry till light golden.
Add sabit garam masala (whole spices) and fry for a minute till they splutter.
Add the mincemeat (chicken or beef) along with ginger & garlic paste. Cook on medium – high heat for a few minutes till color changes.
Add the dry spices (coriander powder, salt, turmeric & red chili powder). Keep stirring for 2-3 minutes to let the spices cook.
Turn heat to low – medium and add tomatoes. Let them cook for 10 – 15 minutes till soft and water dries.
Add the potatoes with ½ cup water. Let cook till potatoes are tender.
Take off heat. Garnish with green chilies and fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with roti and an onions & mint pickled salad.